SCIENCE > INTERNATIONAL POLAR YEAR >The International Polar Year
The International Polar year
(March 2007 - March 2008) : a special celebration
2007 marks the occasion 125 years ago of the first international polar year. This event could be a stimulus to major advances in international and interdisciplinarian collaboration.
The IPY will enable significant advances :
- The exploration of new scientific frontiers
- Enabling promising domains to develop
- The establishment of heavy logistics (ships, satellites)
- The improvement of our knowledge of polar influences on a global level
- An increase in our capacities of detecting global change
The International Polar Year is an exceptional occassion to communicate on polar research and its importance in managing our entire planet. At world level, the IPY draws attention to the arctic extremities to the general public, the media and decision makers.